Sunday, May 29, 2011

MAC wk4 BP2 Reading Reaction

I think one of my strengths as an educator is my ability to light a spark with not only my students but my colleagues as well. I’ve been told that when I’m working with my students I do what it takes to keep the students involved and engaged. When I heard this, I questioned the critic, “Isn’t that what a teacher is supposed to do?”

I know that my students trust me. I look them in the eyes when they talk to me, and I find out what makes them excited. I always tell them that they can do whatever I ask them to do, even if it’s hard. I celebrate their successes. I validate their disappointment and pump them up to try again, instructing them about pitfalls to avoid. I work hard to create trustful relationships with my students, and I endorse having FUN learning in class.

Not only do I practice my own responsibility for myself, but I teach my students how to do so as well. One of the ways that I’m able to do this is by separating behaviors from the child. I take extra time and effort to tell a student that their choices have consequences and rewards depending on the path they choose. I’m consistent. I point out specific behaviors that need to stop instead of blaming a student for what is happening. I try to make an opportunity to address students privately to minimize embarrassment. By attempting to eliminate emotional reactions to behavioral redirection, I show students how they are in control of their own choices, and make them their own boards.

I believe that by establishing an environment of trust in my classroom, the students understand that our objectives are ours and not just mine or theirs. WE are on a mission toward each other’s success. WE approach the lessons together, and WE succeed together.

No comments:

Post a Comment